Friday 28 November 2008

Assembled: Pixel Perfect





Its 3:10am on Saturday morning. Yes, thats right. 3:10am Saturday morning.

I've been sorting out Assembled comps since getting home from uni about 5 ish this/ yesterday afternoon.

Why?

Because I had a chin-wag with Joe Gilmore yesterday/ the day before, who was kind enough to give me advice and information about how he designs his websites. He was also kind enough to inform me of a term called "Pixel Perfect" which basically entails calculating the purpose of every pixel within your webspace. So effectively, if you were to slice up an 800x600 pixel website, you would know how much space each element/ asset takes up and thus disallowing any dodgy browsers out there in the world to make your website look 'orrible.

So from the images you can see a sample page and how I have had to use a strict grid (which took me ages to design and calculate) which helped put together each page in a pixel perfect manner.

You see, before I spoke to Joe, I thought I had wrapped up this brief, had all my comps ready in illustrator, had my board pretty much set up for print then assessment.

Little did I know about Pixel perfect.

O, and I have some advice for anyone reading this thats considering designing a website.

1. PLAN.

2. PLAN AGAIN.

3. Once you've planned it again, go over your revised plan and plan it again.

Seriously, I messed up the layout 3 times purely by not calculating my grid guides properly. Remember margins and gutters still exist on websites. And unlike inDesign which makes the job of setting those up quickly and rather automated, doing it in Photoshop takes a lifetime. SO PLAN! THEN PLAN AGAIN! THEN PLAN YOUR PLAN AGAIN!

Nuff ranting, its bedtime.

No comments: