Tuesday 9 December 2008

Promoting Assembled: Development/ Trials & a quick update

So for this brief I am promoting Assembled in a manner which realistically wouldn't be done if in a way in which if I were to seriously do it. I really want some typographic work, some interesting, visually attractive stuff in my portfolio and so I have embarked on a quest to design some posters promoting Assembled via A1 dimensions.

Up until now, I have worked on a corporate identity, an interesting conceptual solution for a cause and opinion I set myself, and designed a website which have been all fun and interesting. However I don't feel as though I've had time in the playground to try something on my own, to express some inner feelings... if that doesn't sound too pathetic... so I guess this brief is my chance to be myself more than I would normally be. I love type. I love dealing with type on an empty space. Arranging it, playing with it, give it breathing space, squash it, order it... I like to boss text about. So today I spent the day doing this. 

Above, you can see I printed off a good 27 trials, fromt hose I have about 3 I want to display for the final crit tomorrow. I took text from the course module handout, which took ages to type up and I wish I had a digital version I could have copy and pasted from... although god hasn't made himself known, he sure has a funny way of helping us out when we're stressed and not in the mood for typing all day. 

But yeah, I guess the reason I did it was because I haven't had the chance to deal with a large amount of text before, well.. I have but not in a way which I got to call the shots. Plus I did find this awesome website:

www.typographicposters.com

... Which helped fuel the fire to do something creative with my cause.

Here are some of the strong ones I really like, mind you they're printed on A3, through black and white laser printers upstairs. So... not the best quality but it gives me a feel of what the layout is like printed on a page. I think I may need to ass some color, gonna bring that up in the crit. 






No comments: