Sunday 5 October 2008

Don't Panic!

Right, so for the past week we were given a brief to respond to the Don't Panic pack's which are distributed and aimed at pretentious and over opinionated students across and within the isles of England. If you've ever opened up one of these packs you will find a nice A2 poster which is selected to print via their website entries, along with loads of promotional leaflets for nights out that you'll never go to within your city. Yey!

On the plus side, it comes in a recycled brown paper envelope which you can place everything back into and throw away, which you may well have just done in the first place. Although, I don't disagree with the principles of Don't Panic, I am very pro what they do, I'm just not keen on the kind of people that like to associate themselves with what they do. It's not their fault, its everyone elses...

Right, now that I've set the mood perfectly! hahaha, here's what I've been working on for their Poster Entry, under the theme of "Machines".



This is the quote I used by Bertrand Russell as a means to inspire this brief.



I then went on to simplify what machines represented in today's society. Attempting to keeping things as simple visually as possible.



Also, spent a day and a half vectoring patterns to produce a more aesthetic approach to the brief. Thinking more along the lines on what would look good on a wall.



I then came back to my initial idea of Bertrand Russells quote and still wanted to maintain the simplicity of my second idea strand. So I came up with Stop and Rewind.

From the crit feedback, i got mixed responses, as some people felt that it wasn't a suitable message for Don't Panic, that it was too serious. Or perhaps they didn't understand the quote, which I have to say is hardly a rubix cube or a game of level hard sudoku.

I'm going to work on this some more before I post my entry on their website. Unfortunately, everything is about aesthetics.

No comments: